City Makers’ Course Lviv is an education-program in the sphere of urban development. It is a common project of Technical University Cottbus-Senftenberg (Germany), NGO “Stadtagenten” (Germany) and City Institute (Ukraine) which is financed by the German Foreign Office. Other cooperation-partners like Lviv City Council and Institute for Spatial Development Lviv are involved. The program was developed by Ukrainian and international experts and starts in October 2018 in Lviv.
The main motivation for establishing City Makers’ Course is to react on the lack of professionals in the field of modern urban planning in Lviv and with this on the lack of knowledge regarding strategic-, interdisciplinary-, participatory approaches in urban planning. Other aims are:
- To create a knowledge-network and to initiate interdisciplinary communication
- To develop a common language among the actors of urban development in Lviv
- To face challenges of a modern city
- To think city-development in processes and strategies / management
- To close the gap between formal education and “field-challenges”, between planners and researchers
- To support post-graduates by forming a new vision of municipal work in the field of urban planning
- To replace “Soviet Planning” by “Integrated Urban Planning” (including economic studies, architecture, planning, social studies, management, geography-studies) leading to new ways of decision-making
- To educate “Urban Moderators” To improve context-awareness To integrate economic thinking in urban planning
- Employees of the local administration and planning-institutes (in 2018/19 6 participants)
- Graduated architects (8), engineers (1), geographers (1), sociologists, managers (1) and others (5)
- Urban activists
- Advanced students (2)
The course focuses on future urban managers in Lviv (17 participants). The total number of participants is 24 in 2018/19. Tutors are experienced urbanists from Germany and Ukraine.
City Makers’ Course Lviv comprises the following modules:
Module 0: Introduction
Module 1: Analysis
Module 2: Strategy-Development
Module 3: Process-Design and Facilitation (Moderation)
Module 4: Excursion to Germany
Module 5: Urban Design
Module 6: Public Space
City Makers’ Course in 2018/19 starts with a basic program. An extended program might be developed in future. The program 2018/19 lasts from October 2018 to April 2019 and basically comprises 6 modules (see
above). Every module comprises up to 5 days. Participants will be divided into 4 sub-groups. Every sub-group continuously deals with one and the same case-study-area over the entire duration of the program. Within the modules the sub-groups exercise different steps of planning (e.g. analysis, strategy- development) in their case-study-area. Practical exercises are in every module accompanied by related lectures. The proportion between exercises and lectures differs from module to module.
Case Study Areas
In 2018/19 there will be two case-study areas. They represent different types of settlement in Lviv:
Vyhovskoho-neighborhood is an example for a “soviet” residential district.
Pidzamche is an example for a historical district with mixed use (housing, old industry).
Every module of City Makers’ Course comprises at least one public event – e.g. lecture, presentation of results of practical exercises. The first pubic event will take place on Friday, October 12, 2018 at 17:30 h in City Institute (Lviv City
Council, 1 Rynok-Square, room 108). Julian Chaplinsky Ukraine), Marc Heinisch (Germany) and Stephan Poenack (Germany) will talk about the Current Urban Agenda in Ukraine and Germany.